A Support Engineer is a specialist in large-scale, complex, and distributed web infrastructure that engages in direct customer communications regarding the availability, scalability, reliability, and performance of their applications. As a Support Engineer you will work with decision makers, developers, system administrators, and systems integrators on a daily basis, acting as the conduit between those who write the customer’s code and the infrastructure teams at Rackspace. The Support Engineer utilizes Application Performance Management (APM) tools along with knowledge of application development, frameworks, and web application architecture to proactively identify performance issues and likely points of failure as well as to resolve critical application-level issues impacting availability. These skills, paired with an understanding of customer growth and traffic patterns, enable the Support Engineer to develop, propose, test, and implement solutions for the infrastructure and application framework that will ensure maximum performance and uptime of customer applications. A Support Engineer builds customer loyalty through extensive knowledge in application and infrastructure performance tuning, and works with internal teams to deliver a consistent and FANATICAL customer experience.Key Responsibilities
- Provide support in tuning applications and infrastructure
- Design, develop, test, and implement new configurations, architectures, and standards
- Provide guidance, to customers, 3rd party integration specialists, and/or internal teams, on solutions to increase application availability, redundancy, scalability, and performance
- Assist customers and internal teams to automate processes and incorporate devops methodologies
- Provide leadership and guidance when customer application-level downtime issues arise and provide RCA support as requested.
- Show ownership of issues through resolution and maintain customer loyalty by serving customers via phone, tickets, and email
- Customer/Internal Feedback (delivered via Unsat Ratings and/or email amp; phone)
- Stability and performance of customer applications, as relates to customer uptime, using internal monitoring tools
- Customer retention and growth as a result of consistently delivering high levels of service amp; support around customer application stability
- Strong knowledge of technology troubleshooting, design, and implementation
- Ability to understand, administer, troubleshoot, and test OS and application platforms
- Proficient communicator with the ability to convey complex concepts to both technical and non-technical individuals
- Strong knowledge of performance tuning and scalability/reliability architecture best practices for a single platform (Linux or Windows)
- Strong configuration and troubleshooting expertise of platform-specific web servers and services (Including, but not limited to, IIS, Apache, Tomcat, JBoss)
- Understanding of at least one platform-specific programming language used for enterprise or large-scale web development (.Net, Java or PHP preferred)
- Proficient using Application Performance Management (APM) tools to interpret data, build dashboards, and engage in performance discussions.
- Ability to identify, address, and resolve complex customer application-level issues without supervision.
- Ability to provide FANATICAL SUPPORT
- MCSE or RHCE certifications preferred
- Minimum 3 years of systems administration experience, including 2 years of experience administering highly available systems
- Prefer 2 years of experience with an enterprise application framework (AEM, CQ, ATG, Oracle Commerce, Sitecore, Hybris, Magento)
- Ability to perform on-call functions
About Rackspace Technology
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or IS preferred
We are the multicloud solutions experts. We combine our expertise with the world’s leading technologies across applications, data and security to deliver end-to-end solutions. We have a proven record of advising customers based on their business challenges, designing solutions that scale, building and managing those solutions, and optimizing returns into the future. Named a best place to work, year after year according to Fortune, Forbes and Glassdoor, we attract and develop world-class talent. Join us on our mission to embrace technology, empower customers and deliver the future.More on Rackspace Technology
Though we’re all different, Rackers thrive through our connection to a central goal: to be a valued member of a winning team on an inspiring mission. We bring our whole selves to work every day. And we embrace the notion that unique perspectives fuel innovation and enable us to best serve our customers and communities around the globe. We welcome you to apply today and want you to know that we are committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender reassignment or identity or expression, genetic information, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity status, military or veteran status, nationality, ethnic or national origin, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or any legally protected characteristic. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.